[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Improved IPv6 Registration Requirements

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Fri Sep 29 08:38:53 EDT 2017

As the author of the original proposal, I do want to see the main part of
this proposal advance and be passed.  Since it has now been pointed out
that the language is currently frozen until the meeting, I note for the
record that I have no problem with the draft as currently written, and
would like to see it advance and pass.  Discussion up to this point seems
to be that the majority have no issue with the use of either word "should"
or "shall".  Thus, like the majority, "should" is acceptable for passage,
and therefore I move for adoption as is.

The current draft is in 4 parts.  Part one, to change the SWIP standard
from /64 or more to a larger size, currently /47 or more or individually
routed, is what I thought was wrong with the earlier standard, and what I
was seeking change in policy in the original draft, and what I would like
to pass.

Sections 2 and 3 are basically corrections, section 2 a mis-identified
IPv4 section reference changed to the corresponding IPv6 section, and in
section 3, removal of language that would make the new standard unclear
since /64 or more would no longer be the standard.

Section 4 is the section regarding downstream requests for SWIP, and has
the "should" and "shall" issue being discussed.  It was identified during
discussion, and was not part of the original draft.

I would suggest that we allow the draft to pass as is, and come back with
a new draft changing that section to "shall" ONLY if it is identified that
there are a lot of issues with obtaining SWIP registration by upstreams
that do not think "should" is a strong enough word for them to act.  Even
then, consider that an upstream that refuses to act on "should" may also
decide to not act on "shall" either.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.