[arin-ppml] Revised: Draft Policy ARIN-2017-8: Amend the Definition of Community Network

Whitestone IT admin at wsfnet.org
Wed Sep 20 18:07:28 EDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:

> The current text uses the terms "volunteer group, not-for-profit,
> non-profit, charitable organization, or educational institution"
>
> My reading of this is that accreditation isn't a requirement.  The text
> could be rewritten to remove educational institutions, but some of the
> community networks one might imagine are educational organizations (which
> are government entities, not necessarily registered/chartered as non-profit
> organization)

Thanks, Andrew — it's good to consider not just what structures run
community networks today but which could arise in future.

In my case I worked for a non-government educational organization that ran
a community network. I think the current language is open-ended enough
while signaling a fairly clear intent.

--
Jeremy Austin
Whitestone, Alaska