[arin-ppml] Re-allocations (was: Revised/Retitled: Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Improved IPv6 Registration Requirements)

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Fri Sep 15 10:14:20 EDT 2017

Direct Allocation: an RIR, such as ARIN, designates a block of IPs to be
used by an
organization and their down stream customers.  (re-allocations and
re-assignments are permitted)

[Note: if there is a requirement for the organization to hold at least one
block of IPs
that may be used in part or whole by its customers, then all blocks held by
that organization
will be treated as allocations.]

Direct Assignment:  an RIR, such as ARIN, designates a block of IPs to be
used by
an organization for use on equipment that they own/manage/are responsible
for.
(re-allocations and re-assignments are not permitted)

An organization with either a direct allocation, or a re-allocation may
sub-delegate a portion
of their address space for use by their down stream customers.
sub-deligations come in two
types: re-allocations and reassignments.

Re-allocation: when a sub-deligation is made to a customer, and it is
intended to be used
on the customer's equipment as well as by their downstream customers, then
the
sub-deligation must be a re-allocation.
(further re-allocations and re-assignments are permitted)

[Note: if there is a requirement for the downstream customer to hold at
least one block of IPs
that may be used in part or whole by its customers, then all blocks held by
that organization
will be treated as re-allocations.]

Reassignment: when a sub-deligation is made to a customer, and it is
intended to only
be used on the customer's equipment for which they own/mange/are
responsible for, then the
sub-deligation must be a re-allocation.
(further re-allocations and re-assignments are not permitted)

My sense is people didn't want to say "allocation/assignment"  or
"re-allocation/reassignment"
in policy as it is clunky.  So in some cases we just shortened it but meant
the "when you read
these requirements about SWIP wrt assignments, it also obviously applies to
allocations".

This blurred the meaning of the terms.  Now that we have re-clarified the
exact meaning, we find
there is a whole set of policy that should apply to both, but currently
only applies to one because
we did not mirror the text.

I think the simple solution is to clearly define sub-deligation to mean
both re-allocatiions, and reassignemnts,
and move all the requirements that apply to both under a sub-deligation
section, which a breakout for
re-assignment specific and reallocation specific bits.

Thanks,

__Jason