[arin-ppml] Revised: ARIN-2017-4: Remove Reciprocity

David R Huberman daveid at panix.com
Fri Sep 8 10:52:33 EDT 2017

> Since AFRINIC still has a general free pool, why is not getting
> addresses directly from that RIR for use in that region not an option?

AFRINIC is in its last /8.  By the time any ARIN policy makes it to
implementation, your fact will be less true or possibly not true at all.
Trying to plan for the future here :)

> Also, why cannot we consider a policy that allows the same operator to
> transfer between regions, without opening up the policy to the general
> transfer market?
>
> I see fewer problems with a transfer to another RIR, as long as the
> entity at each end of the transfer is the same.  It is when we open up
> one way transfers between non related entities is where I see the issue
> for abuse.

So I get what you're saying, but I have to ask: how is this idea better
for network operations? As engineers, shouldn't we be striving to ensure
that operators who need resources have access to those resources, and put
political stuff secondary?