[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-12: Require New POC Validation Upon Reassignment

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Nov 30 22:02:46 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Larry Ash <lar at mwtcorp.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 17:30:41 -0600
>  David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>
>> Larry,
>>
>> Out of curiosity, are the reassignments you refer to Simple or Detailed
>> Reassignments?  I ask be cause this policy should only affect Detailed
>> Reassignments, as they have their own POCs, and it is those POC will have
>> to be validated because of this policy.  Simple Reassignments don't have
>> their own POCs, the organization making the reassignment remains the POC.
>> Therefore this policy has no affect on Simple Reassignments, it should
>> only
>> affect Detailed Reassignments.
>>
>> Reading what you say below, I get the impression that most of the SWIPs in
>> question are or at least could be Simple Reassignments. If they are not
>> Simple Reassignments, please help me understand the reasons for that.
>>
>> They are simple reassignments. I am reacting mostly to:
>
> 3.8 Downstream Validation of Simple Reassignments
>>
>> When an ISP submits a valid simple reassigment request to ARIN with an
>> organization name OR postal address that is identical to one or more
>> existing OrgIDs, ARIN will notify the downstream organization and obtain
>> guidance on whether to accept the simple reassigment, or redirect it to one
>> of the existing OrgIDs as a detailed reassignment.
>>

> My problem that the ORG name is sometimes the same for multiple remote
> offices and the address can be the same for multiple offices
> in the same building.
>

> Larry

Section 3.8 doesn't apply to an Organization that only has Simple
Reassignments. It only applies to an Organization that already has an
OrdID, or in other words either an Allocation or Assignment directly from
ARIN or a Reallocation or Detailed Reassignments from an ISP. If an
Organization only has Simple Reassignments, it has no OrgID and therefore
3.8 doesn't apply to them.

So if you make only Simple Reassignments to Mom & Pop's Bait & Tackle in
multiple separate locations, that shouldn't trigger this. However, if you
make a Simple Reassignment MEGA-BOX Bait & Tackle that already has a /16
direct assignment from ARIN then this should apply.

Do you read it differently?

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815 <(612)%20626-0815>
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952 <(612)%20812-9952>