[arin-ppml] IPv4 SWIP requirements (?)

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Sat May 27 16:19:30 EDT 2017

On 17-05-26 05:11 PM, hostmaster at uneedus.com wrote:
> Therefore, while we discuss how many access providers are ignoring the
> SWIP rules, do remember that the majority of ISP customers for IPv4
> internet access are NOT subject to the SWIP rules, since they have 1 or
> less dedicated IP addresses.

There is a solution to that, SWIP to the ISP 'rwhois' server(s) which
have the ability to provide 'rwhois' date down to the /32.

Those hosting companies that do that, are generally better netizens, and
see less nefarious activity..

While the rules make it clear, that of course this isn't for every CPE
device, having the owner listed, and of course that wouldn't probably
fly with most european privacy laws, and it isn't meant for dynamically
assigned IP space, it is considered that when you give someone a /29 or
greater you are 'assigning rights' to use that block, and in this case
SWIP/rwhois is the appropriate method.

And of course, with the increase of cloud provider 'rent an ip by the
minute' pools, it is easy to see how a case can be made not to provide
'rwhois/SWIP' for that, (records won't update fast enough, and be stale
in a few minutes), we as an industry CAN apply different reputation and
permissions to IP space that is properly SWIP'ed or 'rwhois', compared
to space that isn't.

If a person wants to 'speak' for his use of an IP resource, he/they
should expect that in order to find out if he/they can speak to that
usage, they should be listed in the public record as the operator of
that space.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."