[arin-ppml] IPv4 SWIP requirements (?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat May 27 16:13:36 EDT 2017

In message <CAGkMwz6m67=BNTh2E=-Fe=jpdQjyBDK=_JjJL6Hi+JBR6BrP1w at mail.gmail.com>,
Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:

>On the topic of "what should the threshold be", I think requiring SWIPs for
>(non-residential) assignments is actually what we want here...

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention again that just the other
day I requested (here) at least -some- clarity or clarification of the
term of art "Residential Customer", as used in the NRPM.  I did so while
noting that every legal entity, human or otherwise, "resides" somewhere,
even if, as often seem to be the case, the relevant "residence" is just
a 4x4 inch P.O. Box, rented in the name of overnight manufactured
business.

I repeat and reiterate that request now.  What is the definition, for
purposes of the ARIN NRPM, of the term "Residential Customer" and is
there any limit (for either IPv4 or IPv6) on the maximum the size of
an allocation made to a "Residential Customer"?

I wouldn't ask, but I do believe that I've sen cases where so-called
"Residential Customers" (who later turned out to be professional
snowshoe spammers) had been sub-assigned blocks as large as (IPv4) /25s.

Unfortuately, given the definitional ambiguity, I have no idea if such
cases do or do not conform to The Rules, as already adopted.

Regards,
rfg