[arin-ppml] IPv4 SWIP requirements (?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri May 26 19:26:44 EDT 2017

In message <CAGkMwz74_-gu86OGMfC6WtyZ18WDxv=0pJfctDuRpg3Ze04k4A at mail.gmail.com>
Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:

>> So, let me see if I understand this...
>>
>> ARIN doesn't, can't, and most probably won't either enforce the existing
>> (IPv4) SWIP rules, nor, for that matter, any new SWIP rules that may be
>> drafted and/or promulgated with respect to IPv6.  Is that about the size
>> of it?
>
>Pretty much, unless someone comes up with a new method of enforcing SWIP
>rules.  Some of the discussions with law enforcement could eventually
>result in such carrots or sticks...

:-)

Oh yea, I'm completely sure that everyone will be on board for THAT!
Let's get the Real Police to be the Internet Police.  Yessir.  I'm
sure that nobody will voice any objections to THAT idea. :-)

>> Am I missing something?
>
>No, this proposal isn't drafting a new rule, but rather relaxing an
>existing one that mostly isn't being observed or enforced, so that people
>who follow the rules and those who don't are on a level playing field.

I've been sitting here, reading and re-reading the above sentence,
several times, for the past few minutes, hoping that I'd be able to
read it deeply enough so that it would eventually convey to me some
not-totally-illogical thought or idea or concept, but before that
actually occurred, my head exploded.

The fundamental problem is that I can't even begin to wrap my head
around -any- understanding of -any- alternative universe in which
having those who play by the rules and those who don't be "on a level
playing field" is either a Good Thing or a Desirable Thing.

My utter befuddlement was furthermore raised to a higher power by
taking into account also the notion of different groups being placed
"on a level playing field" with respect to rules that... as you noted
earlier in the same sentence... aren't even being enforced.  Aren't
we all, already, and by definition, "on a level playing field" with
respect to any and all rules, laws, statutes, commandments, or edicts
which are not being actively enforced?

Mind you, I am not complaining, or blaming you for having caused my head
to explode.  (I need that from time to time anyway.) But you do owe me a
new keyboard due to the fact that my exploded brains are now splattered
all over this one, making it throughly unusable.

Anyway, actually, you have my compliments.  The sentence of your's last
quoted above is, I think, worthy of Salvadore Dali and/or Joseph Heller.
And ernestly, I cannot help but admire such extraordinary, artful, and
artistic use of the English language.

Regards,
rfg