[arin-ppml] IPv4 SWIP requirements (?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri May 26 18:32:25 EDT 2017

In message <8A3A301D-39B5-4F81-8E2C-90E23B81919E at panix.com>,
David Huberman <daveid at panix.com> wrote:

>In short, there is an argument that the SWIP rules are no-op now. So to answer
>your question directly; what do you do? Nothing. Those days are long gone
>and ARIN has other focuses now.

So, let me see if I understand this...

ARIN doesn't, can't, and most probably won't either enforce the existing
(IPv4) SWIP rules, nor, for that matter, any new SWIP rules that may be
drafted and/or promulgated with respect to IPv6.  Is that about the size
of it?

If so, then color me perplexed.  I'm not at all sure that I grasp the
reason(s) why people on this list are spending/investing time and energy
discussing and debating some new draft rule for IPv6 that also and likewise
won't ever actually be enforced.

Am I missing something?

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  Mind you, I have no objections whatsoever to permitting any and all
folks who so desire to participate as much as they want in whatever
pointless but pleasant pasttimes amuse them or suit their fancy.  It's
a free country, after all, or so I am told.  I'm just not sure that I
understand the pragmatic value in legislating against spitting on the
sidewalk at a time when we have just, in effect, laid off all of the
beat cops who might ever actually enforce that.