[arin-ppml] ARIN Draft Policy 2017-3: Update to NPRM 3.6: Annual Whois POC Validation

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Wed May 10 12:35:58 EDT 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 9:19 AM, <hostmaster at uneedus.com> wrote:

> During the discussion, a major worldwide content management firm disagreed
> regarding removal of notification to downstream assignment contacts who
> have no relationship to ARIN. He found that this is often the only way he
> discovers POC records created by his many upstream ISP's around the world.
>
> Of course this is only a symptom of what is the TRUE issue, which is
> allowing the adding of POC records by upstream ISP's for assignments that
> must be registered at ARIN without first obtaining affirmative consent of
> the contacts who are added.  This is also why the spam laws might be said
> to apply, since these contacts never gave their consent. Changing the
> procedure to require the POC accept before permitting the record to be
> added is best practice.  Of course such contacts need to be able to edit
> their own POC record, even if there is no contract with ARIN. I understand
> is an operational issue, not a policy issue.  This would also allow the
> contact to steer all such ARIN assignment contacts to a single ARIN handle,
> instead of ending up with one handle per assignment, often using an address
> that was never meant to be used for that purpose.

Strong +1 for this.  My impression is that everyone seems to think this
change would be a major improvement, and would address much of the
long-term problem here.

Question for ARIN staff: What would be the best way to get the ball rolling
on these operational changes?   Should we submit an ACSP suggestion?  Is
this PPML discussion sufficient?  Does the AC need to ask staff to
prioritize this work?  Or do we need policy directing ARIN to do so?

-Scott