[arin-ppml] ARIN Draft Policy 2017-1: Clarify Slow Start for Transfers proposed updates

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Wed Jun 7 14:04:51 EDT 2017


On the record staff comments in PPML clearly state that a future looking
projection
based solely on recent past growth (as certified by a C level executive)
extrapolated over the permitted allocation / assignment time horizon will
be deemed
acceptable and sufficient justification.

This statement clearly negates the need for the policy proposal, as current
behavior
already supports the proposal.

While it would be nice for an editorial change to clearly define that this
type of
a justification is sufficient and acceptable, such that those not aware of
this discussion
can benefit from this knowledge, it does not (in my opinion) rise to the
level of work
required to continue to move forward a policy proposal.

__Jason



On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:

> The policy shepherds have seen limited support for this draft and noted
> this at its last full AC meeting.
>
> Furthermore, we believe that through the discussion of this draft this
> policy change may not be necessary as ARIN's operational practice already
> permits organizations to use a data based projection from previous
> allocations or assignments as documentation for a transfer.
>
> If you believe the AC should continue to work on this draft, please post a
> statement of support and suggestions of text updates (e.g. Draft text which
> would explicitly state the current operational practice in policy) which
> you believe will garner additional support from the community for this
> draft.
>
> In the absence of additional support and/or discussion of this draft the
> shepherds of the policy intended to abandon this draft at their next
> regular AC meeting.
>
> Andrew
>
> On May 9, 2017, at 7:15 AM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Thank you for the statement.  This makes me feel much more comfortable.
>
> I wish such text was clearly spelled out in the policy
> (as I think that is good for the community), but I will happily
> take such text as part of the unwritten rules of the NRPM.
>
> Would you say the policy proposal as written is an operation non-op
> for ARIN staff?
>
> ___Jason
>
>
>
>
> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:56 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8 May 2017, at 12:42 PM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > John,
>> >
>> > In a word no.
>> >
>> > One could imagine a justification that says something like:
>> > - on 12/05 we got a /16
>> >    -- (assume we demonstrated efficient utilization of currently
>> >         held space at this time)
>> > - on 05/05 we demonstrated efficient use of the this space
>> >    --  (assume efficient utilization of the new /16 is justifiable)
>> >    --  (assume efficient utilization of previous held space is
>> justifiable)
>> > - at current consumption rate, a /14 represents a two year supply
>> > - we anticipate that our product will continue growing for the for
>> see-able future
>> >
>> > Can we have a /14 please?
>> > ---
>> >
>> > Technically the request above makes no prediction about the future.
>>
>> Jason -
>>
>> Regardless of whether you call it a prediction or not, your extension of
>> your consumption rate
>> to establish your 'two year supply’ meets NRPM 8.5.5’s requirement for
>> “documentation to
>> ARIN which details the use of at least 50% of the requested IPv4 block
>> size within 24 months.”
>>
>> This aligns with the clear policy intent of transfer policy as adopted by
>> the community; so long
>> as an officer of the organization attests to the documentation, such
>> requests will be approved.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> /John
>>
>> John Curran
>> President and CEO
>> ARIN
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> _______________________________________________________
> Jason Schiller|NetOps|jschiller at google.com|571-266-0006 <(571)%20266-0006>
>
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>



-- 
_______________________________________________________
Jason Schiller|NetOps|jschiller at google.com|571-266-0006
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20170607/e4aeb5fa/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list