[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jun 15 09:52:05 EDT 2017

On 15 Jun 2017, at 9:43 AM, Chris James <chris at datacate.com<mailto:chris at datacate.com>> wrote:
Maybe I was not clear. Assuming you spend far more time reading each and every policy proposal that I do; and your position within ARIN:

Specifically from >>your<< point of view; do you see the SWIP policy currently in place to lean more to abuse management, or allocation justification.

My recollection of history is that SWIPs originated for the purpose of reporting utilization to
support subsequent allocations, but the resulting entries in the public Whois have proved to
be important to law enforcement, network researcher and anti-abuse efforts.

The “correct” trajectory for the ARIN community going forward in this regard remains to be
determined.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran