[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-2: Removal of Community Networks

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Tue Jun 13 21:57:20 EDT 2017

Hello all. As part of NARALO, I attended the ARIN mtg in New Orleans and
became aware of the policy re: community networks. I don't have all the
details others can contribute. But I have been involved on the policy
side with community networks in Canada for 20 years, so can provide a
small slice of context from here.

I totally agree that community networks see a lot of value in being
recognized in ARIN policy. The few are doing well, others struggle to
exist.  But they have been and in some areas are still an important part
of the Internet access landscape. It is difficult, as it is, to even
locate these scattered entities. Deleting language the recognizes their
existence would be a shame.

The 100% volunteer driven requirement is not realistic. I don't know
what it should be. Even 70% volunteer driven might not bring in much
more activity in the short term but it would be a recognition that the
non-profit/cooperative model is a viable option for communities trying
to manage their own access issues.

Marita Moll

Telecommunities Canada (loose coalition of community networks in Canada)