[arin-ppml] Discussion on elimination of SWIP requirements.

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Jun 4 11:46:21 EDT 2017

On 4 Jun 2017, at 10:28 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 03:06:09PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>
>> if anything, the existing SWIP rules strengthened, rather than
>> diluted, and, more importantly, would like to see them actually
>> enforced someday.
>
> By whom?  "Enforcement" implies that there is some authority that
> really can make such things happen.  The Internet Cops.  The ITU.
> "Law enforcement", whoever that is.  Someone.
>
> I"n my opinion, it is fortunate for us that we do not have such a
> body.  What we have are registries whose ability to "enforce" anything
> largely depends on the interests of the enforced-upon, so that making
> the Internet work in our shared and common interest is the real test
> of the value of these policies.

Andrew -

Full agreement with your sentiment, but I must make one point quite clear
to the community participating in this policy development -

As noted earlier, if this community develops and adopts policy regarding how
the number registry is to be operated, ARIN will indeed implement such policy
(including marking or revocation of number resources blocks as appropriate
per policy.)   I am in no way advocating for, or against, any policy change, but
simply making clear that the ARIN community does have the ability to specify
how the registry will be operated and ARIN will enforce any resulting policy,
at least with respect to registry operation.

Clearly, it is essential that any policy developed reflects the will of the community
(and that is the essence of our rather lengthy/formal policy development process),
but the fact the registry shall be operated as directed by community policy is a
fundamental tenet of the Internet numbers registry system, and does indeed
provide for enforcement with respect to registry operations.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO