[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 02:01:24 EDT 2017

Hey there. Thanks. Inline.

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 7:26 AM, <hostmaster at uneedus.com> wrote:

> 1) According to the policy manual, it appears that SWIP is the tool for an
> ISP to document the address assignments made to its customers, so that when
> more address space is requested, ARIN can determine qualifications.

Which is easily duplicated from the initial provisioning and/or CDR system.

> 2) Although not directly expressed in the policy manual, it is also a tool
> for operators to contact the administrators of blocks of address space when
> there is an abuse event.

This could be a benefit if the data was reliable or widely actionable.

> Very few ISP's have come back for anything more than their original /32
> allocation of v6, so that purpose might not be as important in the future.

I agree. Its easy to conclude that SWIP may possibly have outlived it's
usefulness and value to ARIN or it's members. Maybe the better policy
modification is to get rid of SWIP entirely and relieve operators of an
unnecessary burden?

Best,

-M<