[arin-ppml] Policy Question for ARIN regarding SWIP

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Wed Jul 26 18:19:12 EDT 2017

There has been some discussion regarding this question on the PPML, and
since I received different answers regarding this and nothing official
that I can find in the NRPM, I have decided to reach out to someone from
ARIN for an answer.

Currently NRPM 6.5.5.1 requires a static assignment of a /64 or more of
IPv6 space to be registered in SWIP.  When registered, can the contact
address be that of a central site managing that site, or is the service
address of the site itself, including the Zip Code required?

The following is background information:

I have need for a static assignment of IPv6 from a certain Major wireless
provider, because said provider will no longer provide us static IPv4
addresses after our current contract ends.  We currently have 500+ sites
with one static IPv4 address each.  We want to add at minimum a /60 of
static IPv6 to each site, which according to the current NRPM requires
SWIP.  Each "Site" is a public transit bus, operated by a unit of State
Government, and its location is not fixed.

Said Major wireless provider tells me that ARIN requires a street address
for each site in SWIP, and this information must be the service address,
and that each site's address must be unique.

I maintain that we should be able to use the contact address of the
administrative headquarters where all the bus networks are centrally
operated for the SWIP for all of the 500+ sites.  The only employee at
each site is the bus operator, and he/she has no access to this network
other than as a member of the public on the public wifi, and no access
whatsoever to the administrative portions of the network that notifies the
central location of the location of the bus, Fare input and location, as
well as emergency notification and audio/video from the bus.  Advertising
data and bus destination sign updates are also planned.

Is it acceptable for a group of sites that is managed centrally to use
contact information for the central management site, even if because of
the detached nature of the assignments, each assignment must be
individually placed in SWIP?

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.