[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Jul 18 23:14:38 EDT 2017

On 7/18/17 22:23, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> On Jul 17, 2017, at 16:36 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>>> What I would like to know is my gut feeling correct, which is that after receiving an allocation of IPv6, nearly nobody ever returns to the well for more, or at least not like it was back in the IPv4 days when ARIN had IPv4 address space to allocate, and thus there are no sticks?
>
> Your gut is definitely correct to date. However, prior performance does not predict future results. It’s true that a lot fewer>organizations are likely to come back for additional IPv6 blocks and
all will certainly come back less frequently than in IPv4.>Nearly nobody
is probably true today. It will probably remain less than “most” for the
foreseeable future, but I don’t think >“nearly nobody” is a permanent state.

A fair number of initial allocations were way too small. e.g. pre 2004
LIR/ISP assignments.

Failure of imagination seems like a common trope for direct/ciritical
assignments which makes returning to the well inevitable.