[arin-ppml] IPv6 additional allocation and reassignment query (was: Re: Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jul 18 10:41:44 EDT 2017

On 17 Jul 2017, at 2:53 PM, hostmaster at uneedus.com wrote:

> Just a couple of questions regarding the carrots and the sticks for the ARIN staff:
>
> Other than those who came back to change their initial /35 to a /32, how many ARIN customers have come back for another allocation of IPv6 space because they used the first one to the extent the rules require, which I think is 75% of /48 block assignments.
>
> And, how many customers have received a first allocation of IPv6?
>
> Divide, and I can find out what percentage came back for more.
>
> What I would like to know is my gut feeling correct, which is that after receiving an allocation of IPv6, nearly nobody ever returns to the well for more, or at least not like it was back in the IPv4 days when ARIN had IPv4 address space to allocate, and thus there are no sticks?
>
> Another bit of info I would like to know if possible:  what percentage of customers with a v6 allocation has actually put any of their assignments into SWIP?  Since the current policy for SWIP in IPv6 is /64 or more, every allocation should be there.
>
> The answers are useful to determine as far as the documenting the assignment for ARIN, how useful SWIP is for that purpose.

Albert -

As requested –

As far as ARIN staff can ascertain, no ISP/LIR has yet qualified for an additional allocation
based on having used enough of their existing allocation to qualify for more.   There have
been some additional allocations under other circumstance, e.g.

-          Multiple Discrete Networks (I have a /32, I’m opening a second autonomous site, I need more)
-          “Do-over” (I got a /32, I did my addressing plan, I now realize I need a /28)
-          Downstream ISP customers (I have a /32, I have a downstream ISP customer,
           therefore I need additional space so I can assign them a /32)

Regarding reassignments:  there are 3,346 IPv6 direct allocations. Of those, 283 (8.5%) have one
or more reassignments.  For comparison, there are 20,217 IPv4 direct allocations. Of those, 10,230
(50.7%) have one or more reassignments.

May you find this information useful in your policy development efforts!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN