[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Jul 17 16:08:34 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 2:11 PM, David R Huberman <daveid at panix.com> wrote:

> Can you define voluntary?
>>
>> Is the voluntary choice to record a reassignment
>> up to the USP?
>>
>> Or does the choice belong to the end-user?
>>

> I think that's a business decision the two parties make together. I think
> an ISP can choose to SWIP whatever it wants, and should do so with the
> consent of the end-user. I think an end-user should be able to demand a
> SWIP entry, and the ISP should generally comply.

And if the ISP doesn't comply with the user's demand, can one of their
recourses be to appeal to ARIN?  Obviously, in a healthy market another,
and maybe more effective, option is to get another ISP.  However, not all
markets are healthy and too frequently users have only one realistic option
for an ISP, especially in rural areas.

I think it is important that if a user requests a SWIP from an ISP, and
they not given the SWIP, this should be at very least a technical violation
of ARIN policy.  Is ARIN going to revoke an ISP's address space because of
a single complaint from a user in this regard, of course not, but I would
expect ARIN to intercede with an ISP on behalf of the user.  However, if
there are repeated issues, especially large numbers of them, and if there
are other policy violations too, then I would expect harsher actions by
ARIN eventually.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952