[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Mon Jul 17 09:47:26 EDT 2017

As far as ARIN having access, you are right, ARIN itself has the right to
the CPNI data on assigned IP resources, but not the right to make it
publically accessable to the world.  The OP has confirmed that the issue
is the CPNI rules.

there already exists specific CPNI
>    exception  that a carrier may permit access to customers’ CPNI when
>    necessary for provision of the telecommunications service.

This is the problem.  ARIN is not a carrier.  While disclosure to ARIN to
obtain number resources for the connection is OK, Public disclosure by or
at the direction of ARIN policy of elements like domain name, name,
address and telephone number is not.  Since name, address, telephone
number and domain name have already been identified have been defined in
the order as elements of CPNI that are protected, world disclosure by ARIN
or because of ARIN rules would not be a protected disclosure.

The ISP might also be in trouble for providing the information to ARIN, if
they know that ARIN intends to publish this information in a public
directory, rather than disclosing it to ARIN solely to maintain number
resources.  As suggested by the OP, might have to call them customer 1-n.
However that would violate the NRPM as written.  Since the City, State and
Zip Code are part of the address, even the "protected" residential records
CPNI are being disclosed in violation of the CPNI Order.

There is a big difference between disclosure to ARIN for taking care of
numbering policy, and disclosure to the entire world.  Third party
disclosure is the main thing that the CPNI rules are intended to address.
That is only permitted when it is needed for the provision of service.

In the telecom world, a circuit from A to B might go from ILEC A to
Interexchange Carrier, then to ILEC B at the other end.  Disclosure to
each is permitted, as it is required for having the service.  Publication
of information regarding this circuit to other parties or the world is
not.  There is a large body of case law regarding CPNI disclosure, and
maybe this is what the OP was talking about.

I read the FCC1524A1 order, and while it does say that the FCC will not
assert jurisdiction over the assignment or management of IP addresses, I
see nothing in the order that would allow ARIN to insist that the
assignments must be recorded in a public directory, where neither the
customer has consented.  The FCC has specifically been ruled that elements
name, address and telephone number are protected CPNI. The customers are
NOT ARIN members, so there is no contractual agreement with those parties
to allow this disclosure.

Maybe I am missing something, but my read of the order does not seem to
grant ARIN the rights to EVER publish CPNI to third parties without
consent.  I have looked for the WISPA comments on line to find out exactly
what the issue identified is, but I have not been able to find it.
Information from the OP seems to state that I have found the correct order
on CPNI.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.