[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Wed Jul 12 02:26:49 EDT 2017

First of all, ALL changes to v4 have been withdrawn from this proposal.
This proposal is ONLY about v6.  Currently ALL v6 requires SWIP (/64 or
more) and this is unequal with v4 that has an 8 or more address standard
for SWIP.

I think that drawing the SWIP boundary for IPv6 based upon residential/non
residential (NRPM 2.13) is wrong, as this is NOT done in IPv4 and would
treat v6 and v4 differently.  Currently in v4, it is 8 or more addresses.
Residential or Non Residential does not change the SWIP requirement in
IPv4 in any way.

Thus, whatever boundary is chosen for v6, I think it should be a fixed
value, just like in IPv4.  I would like to hear the exact reasons why it
has been proposed that there should be a residential/non residential
difference in SWIP policy, and what this difference in policy is meant to
address.  If it is a valid reason, this should carry over to IPv4.

Some commenters have suggested that routeability should be a factor in
determining if SWIP is needed.  In IPv4, it is not possible to route
anything smaller than a /24, but the current SWIP v4 standard is /29 or
more, much smaller than the routability standard.  In IPv6, nothing
smaller than a /48 is routable, so I kinda think that IPv4 /29 is very
close to equal to IPv6 more than a /56, and also not independently
routable.

The comments I have been watching have strongly supported setting the SWIP
level for IPv6 at more than a /56.  This is only one nibble away from /60
in the current proposal. I also note that it seems quite universal that
most commenters think that a /64 is wrong, and everyone, even dynamic
residential customers deserve to have at least a /60 so that they can
route packets in v6.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.