[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 11 20:41:03 EDT 2017

> I also question why 100% SWIP on v6, because 99.9% of ISP's are not coming back for a new assignment.  While SWIP is useful for network security and contact needs, this is NOT the purpose it was established.  It was established to document an ISP's address utilization rates for ARIN to be used when the ISP requests more space.  Since very few have come back to ARIN for more v6 space, I think its purpose is not needed until such time as an ISP needs to get its ducks together to ask for more IPv6 space, which with the larger space of v6 will be never for most ISP’s.

As someone who was around back when much of this was hashed out, I can assure you that SWIP (and WHOIS before it) was not deployed primarily for ISPs to document utilization. It was, in fact, primarily for security and contact purposes from the first days of the WHOIS protocol. RIR uses (and RIRs themselves) came much later in the game. The RIR rules and requirements around SWIP and WHOIS were actually put in place primarily to protect this ability to have security and contact information where needed. Later the RIRs discovered the usefulness of this same data for utilization validation, but it was NOT the original purpose for collecting the data.

> I also do not think ARIN's policies should be supporting the business models of the Geolocation providers, of which one of the most annoying customers of same is the Copyright Trolls.  Even the "Residential Privacy" people must publically declare a zipcode, a goldmine for the Geolocation providers.

As one who works for a company that is not strictly a geolocation provider, but which does a great deal of geolocation as part of its other business needs, I will say this simply isn’t true. Any geolocation provider basing their conclusions on whois is an extremely inaccurate geolocation provider.

Owen