[arin-ppml] Revisit RPKI TAL Relying Party Agreement?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jan 31 16:42:50 EST 2017

On 30 Jan 2017, at 3:14 PM, Job Snijders <job at ntt.net> wrote:

>> Is it the presence of legal constraints that it is the concern, or the
>> fact that ARIN requires explicit downloading (and thus awareness of
>> this fact) that is the issue?
>
> Both are a concern. Please note that I am not advocating that all legal
> constraints should be lifted, for me its the results that matter: at
> this point in time it appears that ARIN's TAL is not bundled with common
> RPKI tools, and that to me is a problem.

Job -

ARIN’s TAL is readily available (for any who wish it) via a simple download
that requires a trivial amount of technical effort when compared to the related
task of introducing RPKI data into a networks routing decisions. The act of
obtaining ARIN’s TAL, while technically quite simple, is one that must be done
explicitly.

The reason that obtaining ARIN’s TAL must be done explicitly that the use
of ARIN’s RPKI data is not an activity to be undertaken lightly, and includes
responsibilities that we wish parties to carefully consider.   As others have
noted elsewhere in this thread, under US law it is indeterminate whether use
of an open RPKI repository would entail agreement to the corresponding terms
of usage (despite this practice being used by other RIRs), whereas obtaining
ARIN’s TAL via explicit act is much more certain in this regard.

> We seek to reduce friction down to the point of:
>    `sudo apt-get install -y arin-rpki-magic`,
> or that the RIPE NCC RPKI Validator can add the TAL directly to its
> source code repository.

I am certain that an appropriate (and equally short) wget command could
suffice technically for installing ARIN’s TAL, but including such in a script
(or including the TAL directly in the source code repository) would deprive
parties of the ability to fully consider and accept the responsibilities involved.

While ARIN’s Board of Trustees has been quite consistent in its position that
RPKI services are to be offered under clear terms and conditions, I will also
bring this email thread to their attention for further consideration.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO