[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2017-6: Improve Reciprocity Requirements for Inter RIR Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Aug 28 13:38:11 EDT 2017

> On Aug 23, 2017, at 11:25 , Michael Sinatra <michael+ppml at burnttofu.net> wrote:
>
> On 08/23/17 10:56, David Farmer wrote:
>
>> You want to break 94% of the transfers between APNIC and ARIN because
>> you don't like 6% of them.
>>
>>    AfriNIC is discussing a similar proposal and a similar proposal was
>>    discussed in LACNIC.
>>

>> Help me understand this, we are going to break transfers to APNIC in
>> hopes that ArfNIC and LACNIC won't pass a policy?  Please explain how
>> you expect that to work.
>
> Without asserting for/against this proposal, I'd like a bit more
> information.  ISTR an incident in the AfriNIC region where there was an
> abuse of some policy which resulted in the acquisition of resources in
> that region for the express (or perhaps covert) purpose of transfer to,
> and sale in, the APNIC region.

I don’t believe that’s the case… I think that the incident to which you are
referring is a little different and I’ll send you more details off-list.

AfriNIC policy never (to date) allowed any sort of transfer or sale into APNIC,
and I do not know of any such move.

> Did such an incident happen and is this (or possibly AfriNIC's proposed)
> policy based on that?  Any other references that anyone can provide?
> (Right now, I am interested in cases, not quantitative studies, although
> I am still sympathetic to quantitative arguments.)

Will send you more details on the specific case off-list.

Owen