[arin-ppml] LAST CALL for Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2016-3: Alternative Simplified Criteria for Justifying Small IPv4 Transfers

Brett Frankenberger rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com
Tue Apr 18 20:01:05 EDT 2017

> The ARIN Advisory Council (AC) met on 05 April 2017 and decided to
> send the following Recommended Draft Policy to Last Call:
>
> Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2016-3: Alternative Simplified Criteria for
> Justifying Small IPv4 Transfers
>
> 8.5.7 Alternative Additional IPv4 Address Block Criteria
>
> In lieu of 8.5.5 and 8.5.6, organizations may qualify for additional IPv4
> address blocks by demonstrating 80% utilization of their currently
> allocated space. If they do so, they qualify to receive one or more
> transfers up to the total size of their current ARIN IPv4 address holdings,
> with a maximum size of /16.
>
> An organization may qualify via 8.5.7 for a total of a /16 equivalent in
> any 6 month period.

Little late in the game for this, I know, but this language appears
ambiguous as to whether or not end-users are permitted to use this
policy.  "Organizations" is inclusive of end users, but "allocated" (in
"allocated space") could be read to exclude organizations that only
have assignments.  Given the general intent of other 8.x policies to
include end users and providers, I would assume that is the intent here
(both other 8.x policies generally don't mention allocations without
assignments or vice versa).  Perhaps "allocated" should be edited to
read "allocated or assigned" or something similar.  (Or "transferred,
allocated, or assigned" to maintain consistency with 8.3 and 8.4.)

Maybe it's not an issue; perhaps ARIN could comment as to whether or
not, if this policy were implemented as currently written, they would
allow end-users to qualify for transfers under 8.5.7.

I support this policy if it applies equally to end users and providers.

     -- Brett