[arin-ppml] Fraud Policy ?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 30 13:42:07 EDT 2016

On 30 Sep 2016, at 9:15 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> I got a policy question.   Well, a couple, actually.
>
> For the time being it will be Best if I couch my question(s) in
> terms of a hypothetical.
>
> Assume, hypothetically, just for the sake of argument, that there
> exists a valid legal entity `A' which has already performed all of
> the appropriate formalities and rituals necessary to legitimately
> obtain from ARIN some set of number resources.  Assume further
> that at some later date, some other party `B' comes along and
> fradulently pretends to be the legal entity `A' and by so doing,
> obtains some additional number resources from ARIN.  (Assume also
> that thereafter, party `B' does in fact makes use of these fradulently
> obtained number resources.)
>
> I would like to try to understand how existing ARIN policies might
> bear on the above hypothetical scenario.  Specifically, I'd like to
> obtain answers to the following:
>
> 1)  What sorts of documents, exactly, must either party `A' or party
> `B' in the above scenario submit to ARIN in order to establish their
> bona fides to ARIN's satisfaction?

At a minimum, Incorporation documents which align with their state
registration.  Additional information will likely be required, depending
on the circumstances.

> 2)  In a case such as the one described above, if it is later determined...
> let's just say beyond a reasonable doubt... that party `B' has in fact
> made one or more fradulent representations to ARIN staff, and by so
> doing, party `B' has obtained from ARIN staff some finite non-zero
> quanta of number resources, then which of the following actions must,
> may, or will ARIN staff undertake in such a situation?  (I am asking
> what the applicable current/existing formalized written policy demands
> in such a circumstances.)
>
>     a)  ARIN will report the fraud to law enforcement
>     b)  ARIN will initiate civil legal action against party `B'
>     c)  both of the above
>     d)  none of the above

Yes.  ARIN may do any/all of the above, including “e) revoking
number resources obtained fraudulently” with respect to party “B”
The specific actions are not governed by policy, aside from the
references in NRPM section 12.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran