[arin-ppml] re-org question

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Nov 4 21:28:20 EDT 2016

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 9:17 PM, David R Huberman <daveid at panix.com> wrote:

>> As I read the last paragraph in NRPM section 8.2, in order for the /16
>> to be recorded under the new subsidiary's name, the subsidiary would
>> have to sign an RSA, renumber the otherwise unchanging network
>> infrastructure to meet ARIN's current efficiency standards and return
>> or sell the excess IP addresses.
>>
>> Am I actually reading that right?
>

> No. You are drawing a conclusion not supported by either the text or by many
> years of practice.  The /16 can be transferred as-is. ARIN has been given no
> power in the NRPM to coerce a renumbering, return, exchange, or anything
> else.

Hi David,

For clarity's sake, here's the text, emphasis mine:

https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#eight2

"ARIN will proceed with processing transfer requests even if the
number resources of the combined organizations EXCEED WHAT CAN BE
JUSTIFIED UNDER CURRENT ARIN POLICY. IN THAT EVENT, ARIN will work
with the resource holder(s) to transfer the extra number resources to
other organization(s) or accept a voluntary return of the extra number
resources to ARIN."

I don't see an "or let you keep the extra number resources' in there.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us