[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2016-1: Reserved Pool Transfer Policy
jschiller at google.com
Thu May 5 16:09:38 EDT 2016
I would go s far as to direct ARIN staff to provide provisional approval.
The process would look like this:
Customer: ARIN, I have a /16. I am currently using 200 IPs as documented
I would be willing to sell my /16 and replace it with a /24 if I can be
assured that I
will be approved to get a /24.
ARIN: based on your current utilization you are pre-approved to transfer a
on the condition that no longer hold the /16 and your utilization as
The customer could then go off and sell the /16 contingent on buying a /24
and transferring it. Buy the /24, renumber into the /24 and then submit
transfer requests requesting the transfer of the /16 to the recipient which
be held up until the transfer of a /24 from the source is also approved.
(I think of this like the complicated kidney donation surgeries)
I don't think we need policy for this, just the AC to advice ARIN on
the fact that this behavior is not prohibited under policy, and is what
the community desires ARIN to do in this situation.
I do not think ARIN should maintain a pool for this.
I would support ARIN holding a transfer in escrow, but I think it is
that a party is willing to number out of their space, be down, and then get
new space and be back up, so I don't see this being useful.
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> > I’d be OK with this, but given that there is remaining free pool for
> these resources, I’m not sure that it isn’t better to have a clear policy
> that when the resources in these categories are no longer needed, voluntary
> return to ARIN is expected.
> On Monday, there was discussion (during policy experience report)
> about ARIN not being able to provide "theoretical" pre-qualifications
> in the case where (in the example) you transfer a /16 to someone,
> and would want to get a /24 from somewhere else. And while most
> steeped in the ARIN process understand that qualifying is an almost
> certainty, that does not take it to the level some seem to need to feel
> entirely comfortable.
> As far as this proposal, I can imagine there to be cases were a transfer
> may only make sense if the receiving org can be assured that they will
> be able to get the IP numbers from a reserved pool which ARIN cannot
> make assurance on in advance. And while (as before) everyone may be
> (almost) 100% sure that the recipient will qualify, that does not always
> make everyone sufficiently comfortable.
> It would seem to be nice for a 8.3 transfer which happens to include
> reserved pool space not turn into another policy experience report
> bullet for not being able to successfully transfer (worst case?) "CI"
> space if indeed the recipient would otherwise qualify (and potentially
> force a renumber of such resources for no particular policy reason).
> I do agree with Owen that these cases are unlikely. And regardless
> of whether the (what I think is) better language as proposed by Scott
> is included, I would support the policy moving forward to address
> the problem statement.
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
Jason Schiller|NetOps|jschiller at google.com|571-266-0006
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ARIN-PPML