[arin-ppml] LAST CALL for Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2015-3: Remove 30 day utilization requirement in end-user IPv4 policy

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Thu May 19 14:52:50 EDT 2016

This is evidence that the transfer market is actually more efficient at conserving address space than the needs-test regime ever was.  Because needs-tests and utilization requirements and revocation threats did not bring these addresses into productive use, but the market did.

It is uncertain if that conclusion can be drawn from Geoff’s data, as it did not include

any direct measure or comparison of relative “conservation” for transfers in the ARIN

region vis-a-vis allocations/assignments in the ARIN region...

I would not be surprised if your hypothesis is correct (as the ability to bring address

space back into productive use was recognized as a benefit during introduction of ARIN’s

specified transfer policy), but at best any validation based on actual data can only be applied

to the actual circumstances -  it would be “The needs-based transfer market is actually

more efficient at conserving address space than the needs-based free-pool assignment

based model ever was”, i.e. it can’t provide any validation of a transfer market absent

needs-based testing, since there’s operating data in the ARIN region such a policy.

/John

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

You are right about the difficulty in validating my hypothesis, which is why I used weasel words like Geoff’s data “is evidence” for this hypothesis, but not definitive.

Just food for thought for those who seem to view the transfer market as a dangerous snake. But as you said, this movement of unutilized addresses into productive use was an overt purpose of the creation of the market, not an unintended consequence.

I want community members to understand that this is evidence that the market is a natural conserver of valuable resources, and naturally elevates them to a higher and better use.

Thus reducing the actual importance of these “angels-on-the-heads-of-pins” discussions about utilization periods or parsing the application of free pool allocation language in its application to transfers.

Regards,

Mike