[arin-ppml] LAST CALL for Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2015-3: Remove 30 day utilization requirement in end-user IPv4 policy

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Thu May 19 12:17:32 EDT 2016

For what it’s worth to this discussion, we have as much access to pricing information as anybody, and we do not see prices rising more rapidly in RIPE.

Pricing in this market is opaque. The only ones with access to this information are brokers.

Anybody but brokers only can see information on a small number of transfers. We have pricing information on hundreds of transfers.

ARIN pricing is still lowest, but not by much, and not due to the retention of the archaic needs test. It’s due to supply.  The ARIN region has 5 addresses per capita. Other regions of the world are orders of magnitude smaller. The fact that abundant supply changes prices is evident in the unusual truth that per-address prices are lowest at the /16 level.  Larger blocks cost more due to lack of supply. Smaller blocks cost more due to economies of scale. But because the old classful allocation regime handed out /16s to anybody with 257 devices or more, we find many old colleges, defunct corporations, long-closed ISPs with available /16s.

So supply impacts price in a detectable way, but the needs test is irrelevant. Anybody who wants to buy, but who has problems with justifying their need, can simply use RIPE as their registry of choice and use their addresses wherever they want.

The ARIN needs test is perversely driving transfers out of ARIN. Why suffer through an ARIN 30-day utilization ordeal or an ARIN 24 month needs test when the same ARIN-originated purchased addresses can be transferred to RIPE, where a 5 year test is applied?  For the difference in cost between a RIPE membership and an ARIN one, any buyer can neatly sidestep the issue.

Fortunately for ARIN, nearly every buyer is able to justify their need, because speculators don’t really exist. But the 80% requirement is onerous and RIPE is the escape hatch.

Geoff Huston did some stats showing that dusty old blocks make up a large chunk of transferred space. Some of his data was presented at the recent LACNIC meeting. This is evidence that the transfer market is actually more efficient at conserving address space than the needs-test regime ever was.  Because needs-tests and utilization requirements and revocation threats did not bring these addresses into productive use, but the market did.

Policy in ARIN has been held hostage for years to the boogeyman of speculators capable of harmfully manipulating the market.  Never has evidence supporting the existence of these people been offered. And certain unavoidable facts are avoided:

1.       Any such speculation will drive IPv6 and could render IPv4 worthless

2.       Supply has been fragmented through a quarter century of worldwide RIR allocations

3.       Every policy-compliant transfer is publicly recorded

4.       Prices have not changed dramatically in five years of trading

These conditions make it all but impossible for any market manipulation to occur, because due to fragmentation, the acquisition of enough blocks to manipulate the market would take years, in my educated opinion, and would have to involve a very rich speculator who was willing to engage in a series of transfers under assumed names, with the speculated asset marching towards a zero value.  It’s ludicrous to believe that any such speculator exists, willing to risk not only the loss of his investments, but worldwide opprobrium.

Regards,
Mike