[arin-ppml] ARIN-2015-3:(remove 30-day...) Staff interpretation needed

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu May 5 11:30:42 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:

> David, I hear a lot of people such as yourself, supposing that removal of
> the 30 day need check will not change anything else.  But I believe it makes
> (pre-)approval  for transfer solely based on the 2 year need projection,
> which I am concerned could be wildly optimistic.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me or David Huberman, but I'll
respond anyway.

The staff assessment for ARIN-2015-3 says;
   This policy would more closely align with the way staff applies the
existing policy
   in relation to 8.3 transfers. Because there is no longer an IPv4
free pool and many
   IPv4 requests are likely to be satisfied by 8.3 transfers, the
adoption of this policy
   should have no major impact on operations and could be implemented
as written.

I interpret this as saying the evaluation will be based on
more-or-less the same criteria it is today just with no requirement to
use 25% in 30 days, which you and everyone seems to support.

> I am not confusing it with 2015-7: Simplified requirements for demonstrated
> need for IPv4 transfers.  I believe 2015-7 would result in two changes, 1.
> lowering the bar for ISP to match what end users need in 2015-3, and 2.
> removing any demonstration of current utilization (and by extension
> demonstration that you can and are properly managing the space you have) for
> both ISPs and end users.
>
> I can see where there could be some confusion as I have the same concern for
> both proposals, that there needs to be some tangible verifiable claim.

Thanks for clarifying.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952