[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2016-5: Post-IPv4-Free-Pool-Depletion Transfer Policy

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Jun 24 16:37:36 EDT 2016

From: "Matthew Wilder" <Matthew.Wilder at telus.com>:

>It's probably a good time to stop the Titanic reference.  Sure IPv6
>deployment has reached 12% globally, but my most optimistic projections
>show that IPv4 is going to be relevant for a half decade more from now.
>  I think the Titanic sunk in less time if I'm not mistaken.

Only because we're all here talking about IPv4 policy instead of
deploying IPv6.

>Transfer policies are going to be the most stable source of IPv4
>addresses post-depletion so it does make good sense to have good
>policies for those organizations who need it.

Why?

Organizations who need it are arguably doing something wrong. Why should
we have policies any better/different than the existing ones? More
importantly, why is changing the policies we have now a good use of
anyone's time?

Matthew Kaufman