[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2016-8: Removal of Indirect POC Validation Requirement

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Dec 21 15:04:35 EST 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM, David R Huberman <daveid at panix.com> wrote:
> the draft policy proposal aims to focus
> staff on the following types of number resource regisration records:
>
> - direct allocations
> - direct assignments
> - AS numbers
> - reallocations (which are generally designed to be used by ISPs to
> reallocate to other ISPs, who then reassign further downstream)
>
> The draft policy accomplishes this by removing POC validation attempts at a
> single class of resources:
>
> - reassignments

Hi David,

I get that. I disagree with the goal.

To my thinking, the most useful purpose of POC validation is verifying
that service providers are maintaining accurate public records like
they agreed to as a condition of getting cheap large blocks of IP
addresses. To achieve that goal, they have to contact the folks
identified as receiving reassignments.

Expliciting checking the direct POCs is of more limited value. ARIN
will either have a reachable billing POC or will soon be reclaiming
addresses. If one non-technical POC is accurate, odds are the org's
other POCs are usable too.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us