[arin-ppml] ARIN-2015-3:(remove 30-day...) Staff interpretation needed

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Mon Apr 25 12:47:00 EDT 2016

As discussed at the mic by David Huberman, this policy will be used wrt
specified transfers.

I am personally confused as to the impact of this change, and my
understanding of the impact seems to be at odds with a few community
members I discussed it with.

I suspect requests fall into two buckets.

The first bucket is based on past growth.

The second bucket is based on a future looking 2 year projection for
Specified transfers
(or a one year future looking projection for ARIN IP space / waiting list).

I suspect the 30 days part does (to some extent) regulate outrageously
large claims, as this is a real short term verifiable commitment.  Without
a possibility of a 30 day check you simply fall back to an officer
attestation of a two year projected need claim.

I am trying to figure out what is the likely impact of only requiring a two
year projected need claim.  So my questions are regarding to what level of
push back ARIN provides against two year projected need in general, and
will that be sufficient to prevent outlandishly large claims.

Maybe another way to get at this is to compare end user transfer stats to
ISP transfer stats.
- what percentage of ISP specified transfers are justified by past growth?
 by a two year projection?
- what percentage of end user specified transfers are justified by past
growth?  by a two year projection?
- what is the average size of ISP specified transfers that are justified by
past growth?  by a two year projection?
- what is the average size of end user specified transfers that are
justified by past growth?  by a two year projection?
- do we see a greater gap between average ISP size between specified
transfers that are justified by past growth vs. by a two year projection?
- do we see a greater percentage of ISP transfers justified by a 2 year
projection than end users?

David, I hear a lot of people such as yourself, supposing that removal of
the 30 day need check will not change anything else.  But I believe it
makes (pre-)approval  for transfer solely based on the 2 year need
projection, which I am concerned could be wildly optimistic.

I am not confusing it with 2015-7: Simplified requirements for demonstrated
need for IPv4 transfers.  I believe 2015-7 would result in two changes, 1.
lowering the bar for ISP to match what end users need in 2015-3, and 2.
removing any demonstration of current utilization (and by extension
demonstration that you can and are properly managing the space you have)
for both ISPs and end users.

I can see where there could be some confusion as I have the same concern
for both proposals, that there needs to be some tangible verifiable claim.

I think some people are narrowly looking at the 30 day removal as a
positive thing, and I agree it is a positive thing, but it is not clear to
me that people are looking at what is left in the policy.  What is left is
the same as 2015-7 minus the lack of demonstration of current utilization.

To me it seemed that the community was less supportive of 2015-7 than
2015-3.  When I probed after the fact (as I did not get a good sense from
the conversation at the more or the questions asked) it became clear to me
people had concerns about changing the needs measurement to simply a
non-verifiable two year need claim in 2015-7, but felt removing the 30 day
assessment was good.  When I suggested to them that without the 30 day
assessment, they only had to meet the non-verifiable two year need claim,
they explained to me that only the 30 day assessment was being removed, and
did not seem to think justification could be based solely on a 2 year
projected need.

It seems to me if you take current end user policy and remove the 30 day
assessment, you have backed yourself into only needing a non-verifiable two
year need claim.  Am I mistaken about this?  If I am not mistaken, then I
am concerned that the community may have not considered the impact of these
changes.  If I am mistaken, then I need a better understanding of this
policy proposal.

__Jason