[arin-ppml] ARIN 2-Byte ASN inventory and issuance

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Apr 11 17:38:26 EDT 2016

On Apr 11, 2016, at 5:06 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com<mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

On Apr 11, 2016, at 12:24 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net<mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:
Since parties coming to ARIN are distinguishing between these classes of 4-byte ASNs
and come back explicitly asking for one ≤65535, are you suggesting that ARIN not hold
these lower ones to be able to satisfy such requests?

Yes.

I believe that we, more than any other region, have been lazy in our adoption of current internet technologies to the detriment of the internet at large.

I believe that continuing to facilitate this is not providing a useful service to the internet as a whole.

Just to be clear, you feel that ARIN registry policy which rapidly depletes the
lower range of 4-byte ASNs would be technically sound and facilitate fair and
impartial number resource administration?

It would be helpful if you could explain how in some detail, given that there
appears to be sufficient number of lower range 4-byte ASNs for those who
require such for their operations, and further that the supply appears to be
sufficient for quite some time (potentially till there is greater acceptance
and far fewer hurdles with the use of higher range 4-byte ASNs...)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO