[arin-ppml] ARIN 2-Byte ASN inventory and issuance (was: Re: 2-byte ASN policy)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Apr 8 19:26:30 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, John.
>
> It sounds to me like ARIN is already doing the right thing (saving 2-byte
> ASNs for people who specifically want them), and that is sufficient for the
> time being.  It does not appear that additional restrictions on who may
> request a 2-byte ASN are necessary at this time.  If at some point 5+ years
> down the road the rate of 2-byte ASN demand starts to exceed the recovered
> supply and the 2-byte ASN inventory is depleted, we can consider a waiting
> list and/or technical requirements for requesting a 2-byte ASN at that time.
>
> Is there any other reason we need to consider taking action sooner?

I agree the current procedures are meeting our needs and see no need for
immediate changes.   However, I would suggest the community get regular
reports on the inventory levels for 2-byte ASNs.  Adding a slide to one of
the many reports at the PPMs seems logical, but I'd leave it up to staff to
determine the best mechanism for such reporting.

Assuming we stay on the current trajectory, I think we should look at this
again in about two years.  Hopefully, by then the rate of use for 2-byte
ASNs will have slowed even more and any real operational threat from
running out of 2-byte ASNs will be greatly diminished if not non-existent.
If not we should still have sufficient time to plan for a soft landing.

Was there something else I'm missing that prompted ARIN staff to start the
> consultation process around a 2-byte ASN waiting list?
>
> -Scott

One side issue that came up in this discussion that I think could be worthy
of follow up and/or further discussion.  The number of ASNs in the routing
table that are not properly registered, surprised me a little;  350+
unregistered ASNs and 900+ prefixes associated with them, were the easy
numbers for me to find.  What I don't know, does that represent a constant
churn of short-term issues, where most of them come and go over a few
months.  Or, are most those chronic long-term issues that are not getting
cleaned up even after several years.  If it's the later, then maybe we need
to do something about that.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952