[arin-ppml] 2-byte ASN policy

David Huberman David_Huberman at outlook.com
Mon Apr 4 17:38:43 EDT 2016

Thanks for the good reply, Job.

So two things.

1) It's a trade-off, right?  A network operator who absolutely must have a 2-byte either has equipment that hasn't been updated in 6+ years, or is having an issue like BGP communities where the solution they want to implement requires a 2-byte (rather than what Owen is talking about).  Their network, their rules.   So if they want a 2-byte, and ARIN has inventory of 2-bytes -- but they're found in the DFZ -- that requires the network operator to make a decision.

ARIN's lawyers can surely indemnify ARIN from any fault. So in this scenario (which Im just proposing as a thought experiment) the network operator should be allowed to determine for herself what's best for her network.

2) ARIN staff (me!) spent many years trying to get upstreams to help us deal with the backlog of ASNs which were (from a Registry perspective) being squatted on. And these arent published in Whois btw. But it was simply too much volume to handle.  The upstreams are primarily concerned with profit, and customer relations, and this was very much a low priority.  Then add in high volume for 7018 or someone like that, and it became completely untenable.    In your scenario, it's less volume.  But success in this path is not an expectation I would want to set for anyone who is fine taking a routed ASN.

Thanks
/david