[arin-ppml] 2-byte ASN policy
athompso at athompso.net
Sun Apr 3 14:36:06 EDT 2016
IMO, 2-byte ASNs should simply be retired and not reallocated. "Solving the technical problem", as described in your email, is actually ensuring the perpetuation of a different technical problem.
It's the same sort of thing as the IPv4 vs IPv6 --transition, but this time ARIN has an opportunity to at least avoid being part of the problem, even if it can't really be part of the "solution".
Let's please not prolong this problem, too... even in central Canada, known for a paucity of upstream carriers, it's now commercially feasible to work around the 2-byte technical limitations.
On April 3, 2016 12:59:37 PM CDT, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:
>I am starting a new thread in PPML, as a follow up to the ARIN
>suggestion and consultation which recently started regarding creating a
>2-byte ASN waiting list.
>The original suggestion is here:
>ARIN opened a consultation on this suggestion on the arin-consult
>mailing-list. This thread starts here for those who are not subscribed
>As the thread evolved it has been suggested that this issue should be
>resolved via the policy development process rather than through a
>There are a number of questions that have been raised by this thread.
>am copying them here to continue the discussion on PPML.
>Working problem statement: ARIN will receive 2-byte ASNs as returns
>over time, and these ASNs have perceived or additional value to
>organizations compared to 4-byte ASNs. How should ARIN allocate these
>Should they be given to the next requester, regardless of technical
>for a 2-byte ASN? (What are the technical qualifications we should use
>if there is a specific technical need? e.g. provides transit to more
>than 1 ASN?)
>If there is really a technical need for 2-byte ASNs, shouldn't we
>attempt to build an inventory of 2-byte ASNs?
>Should returns be held in reserve?
>Should ARIN hold them for some period of time before reallocating
>Should they be put up for auction to qualified organizations?
>Should they be given to the 1st organization on a wait-list for 2-byte
>Would an organization looking for a 2-byte ASN have the option to
>receive a 4-byte ASN in the interim? If they did would they have to
>Should the waiting list be closed to organizations that already have a
>I and the AC would appreciate your comments on these questions so that
>we can start to build a draft policy that best matches with what the
>community would like to see implemented by ARIN.
>You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
>Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ARIN-PPML