[arin-ppml] Support for 2015-5 (Expand permitted out-of-region use of IPv4 space)

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:33:37 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:

> David says, "the time for RIRs being anything other than local
> language/time/etc is passed." If you agree, global policy changes will be
> needed to make it happen.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Removing the needs test from paid transfers would solve this problem, too.
> Global policy not needed.
> On a related issue, still no speculation spotted in the IPv4 market despite
> needs-free transfers in RIPE for quite some time now.

We have a lesson learned with transfer policy dictating needs in other
regions and other regions really disliking this. Global policies need to be
agreed by all regions. Pushing global policy that continues to dictate
requirements in other regions will fail.

Global policy should be used to instruct the IANA, not to batter our fellow
RIR's.

Best,

-M<