[arin-ppml] Support for 2015-5 (Expand permitted out-of-region use of IPv4 space)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 15 15:14:26 EDT 2015

Speaking strictly as myself and not in any way on behalf of the AC or anyone else:

There has been significant misunderstanding around this policy proposal.

Much of the opposition seems to center around the idea that this proposal would somehow reduce permitted out of region use. In fact, it restricts staff’s ability to disregard out-of-region use as invalid and it expands the ability of organizations to utilize ARIN resources globally.

While I would like to have seen a simpler proposal that addressed this problem more directly, the simple reality is that a combination of legal concerns and other factors have necessitated the level of complexity in this proposal.

I support the proposal as written. I encourage others that would like to see their out-of-region use counted as valid utilization when applying for additional resources via transfer or other mechanism to also express their support for this proposal as it is currently written.

Even if you have previously expressed support for this proposal, since it was recently updated with (hopefully improved) language that should be easier to understand, it is helpful to the AC if you express your continued support.

Of course, as an AC member, I will say that all feedback, positive or negative on this proposal is useful. It certainly isn’t my intent to discourage those who oppose this proposal as written from speaking.

Owen