[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-2: Modify 8.4 (Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 28 07:49:29 EDT 2015

On May 27, 2015, at 11:39 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> My suggestion is that I don't mind (virtually) unrestricted moves of addresses to different regions staying with the same organization. However, if we are to allow that, I want us to find a way that you can't merely use that as a way to move addresses out of flip protection to then flip them to another organization via an RIR with a less restrictive transfer policy.
>
> So... If you transfer addresses to another region, keeping them in the same organization, no penalty. However, you are not allowed to subsequently transfer them (or other addresses in that region) to an external party for at least 12 months.

That second portion that you seek would affect the ongoing operation of
another RIR, i.e. it requires them having some explicit policy to that effect.

To obtain the result you seek, we either need globally coordinated transfer
policy in this area, or you need to make the inter-RIR transfer policy explicit
in this regard in determination of compatibility.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN