[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-2: Modify 8.4 (Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue May 26 16:59:16 EDT 2015

> On May 26, 2015, at 15:38, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
>
> On 5/26/15 13:30, David Huberman wrote:
>>> Why is another region's policy problem or restrictions something that needs
>> Two answers:
>>
>> Because ARIN-region networks, subject to ARIN's NRPM, need to be able to move IP addresses out of region where and when they're needed.
>> AND
>> Because ARIN policy currently prohibits staff from counting out-of-region use as part of justification for a request.
>
> If I am to take an ARIN centric approach I have to ask why I should care about problems in other regions that sound like they could solved by requesting resources from that region.

Please explain why you think a "ARIN centric approach" is appropriate to begin with?  It a global Internet isn't it?

Further, where do you think you will be requesting resources from within another region?

People let's get real, these are real problems.  I'm not convinced I support the proposed solution, but I'm totally convinced this is a real problem, for real businesses doing legitimate things on the global Internet.  These are not nefarious groups trying to commit fraud, or even broker resources, they simply are trying to do legitimate business on the global Internet in a post IPv4 free pool world.