[arin-ppml] Request for staff: 4-byte ASN data

Norman Jester nj at jellydigital.net
Sat May 16 13:21:32 EDT 2015

> On May 15, 2015, at 8:22 PM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Staff,
>
> The 4-byte ASN vs. 2-byte ASN debate is raging in the RIPE address policy working group.  In conversations with folks off-line, we’ve been trying to gauge how much of a problem the lack of 4-byte ASN support from some vendors is for smaller networks.  We know that big guys have problems with some gear not supporting advanced feature sets, but it’s much harder to get good data on how bad (or not) the little network operators have it.

We have one contract that is going on 7 months now with no progress.  The proposed solution by the provider is “could you please get a different ASN”.
It seems they would rather have their income from our contract on pause rather then upgrade and/or provision a workaround.   In addition to that we were
told by yet another alternate provider who is to support the same contract that it will take a few months to support this.

Norman Jester
Jelly Digital, LLC.