[arin-ppml] Request for staff: 4-byte ASN data

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Fri May 15 23:22:39 EDT 2015

Staff,

The 4-byte ASN vs. 2-byte ASN debate is raging in the RIPE address policy working group.  In conversations with folks off-line, we've been trying to gauge how much of a problem the lack of 4-byte ASN support from some vendors is for smaller networks.  We know that big guys have problems with some gear not supporting advanced feature sets, but it's much harder to get good data on how bad (or not) the little network operators have it.

Some time back, ARIN produced stats on the number of exchanges - a situation where ARIN would issue a 4-byte AS number to a requestor, and then some weeks or months later, the requestor would return to ARIN and ask ARIN to exchange the 4-byte ASN for a 2-byte, because 'the 4-byte ASN didn't work".

Can we have some insight into the last 12 months of data on this? Specifically:

How many 4-byte ASNs were issued?
How many have been exchanged for a 2-byte ASN?
Is there any anonymized colloquial data you can share that seems common among exchangers/requestors?

Thank you kindly.
David

David R Huberman
Principal, Global IP Addressing