[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-7: Simplified requirements for demonstrated need for IPv4 transfers

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 20:31:52 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

> On 6/23/2015 1:06 PM, ARIN wrote:
>
>> Draft Policy ARIN-2015-7
>> Simplified requirements for demonstrated need for IPv4 transfers
>>

> I support this policy, but would be even happier if we simply had a
> trigger that said "when ARIN is out of IPv4 addresses, this simplified
> policy replaces all other tests for IPv4 transfers and the other sections
> are inactive until such time as ARIN has a new large free pool of IPv4
> addresses (never)"

The main reason we didn't write a replacement for section 4 is this:

Organizations that do not meet the simplified criteria above may instead
> demonstrate the need for number resources using the criteria in section 4
> of the NRPM.

There will likely be some sections of the community who feel that their
particular need for IPv4 is better met under section 4 than under this
simplified policy.  Rather than trying to identify every such need and
write in exceptions, I felt it would be better to first allow everyone
using the transfer market to opt out of section 4 entirely, and then once
we have some experience with which requests actually still end up using
section 4, we will have some data on which parts of it we need to keep and
which can be eliminated in a simplification cleanup proposal.

-Scott