[arin-ppml] On IPv4 free pool runout and transfer policy requirements for the ARIN region

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 5 13:25:00 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 1:06 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2015, at 12:52 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Reciprocity. It must not be practical to transfer addresses to a
>> registry where registrants of record are not permitted to transfer
>> addresses from the registry. Not just directly but through
>> second-order activity too. E.g. I would disallow ARIN->APNIC absent a
>> commitment from APNIC to disallow a subsequent APNIC->CNNIC activity
>> due to CNNIC disallowing all out-transfers.
>
> Can you explain what the underlying requirement that is satisfied by having
> such a criteria in the transfer policy?

Fairness. Free trade is and must be a two-way street. Don't have that
if we let someone pay lip service to free trade and then act as a
proxy for a third party who's gaming the system.

>> I'm not convinced about having hard policy for minimum transfer sizes.
>> I think that could be better managed as an ARIN business matter by
>> requiring anyone requesting an unusually small transfer to sign a
>> letter to the effect that, "Undersigned registrant acknowledges that
>> address blocks smaller than /24, including the requested block, are
>> ordinarily _not usable_ on the public Internet. Registrant requests
>> transfer despite said impairment.”
>
> Is /25 "unusually small”?

The nice thing about my way is that ARIN need never make that call. It
need only warn registrants and then let them make the call.

The only rough spot is that *if* we continue some form of needs
analysis we'd have to deliberately cut it off at the /24 level so that
you can't transfer anything smaller than a /24 unless you qualify for
the /24. Personally, with the free pool gone I'm disinclined to
continue needs-based analysis, at least on the relatively small
transfers like /22 or /24.

But you asked which things we wanted to put on the table as candidate
requirements for transfers, not the ones we wanted to argue against.
I'm trying to respect that.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us