[arin-ppml] Registry functioning (was: Re: ARIN-PPML 2015-2)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Jun 4 18:25:53 EDT 2015

John,

On Jun 4, 2015, at 4:22 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> 1) Should we update the entry for those cases where there is a party with effective
>     ‘possession’ (i.e. use) of an address block but the original address holder cannot
>     be contacted or  found?

Yes, but I'd mark such records in the registration database as 'tentative' (or some such).

> 2) Similarly, should we update the entry when a party has been using an address block
>      for some time, and is still actively using it, but there is a dispute about the meaning
>      of paperwork between the party and present address holder in the registry?

The approach Postel chose in such cases was to leave things as they were until there was consensus among the contesting parties.  It has worked (more or less) in the TLD space at IANA, I think it is a reasonable course of action.

> 3) We presently have some practices regarding what documentation we require when
>      a party asserts to now have the rights to IP address block via merger/acquisition
>      You can see specifics here -<https://www.arin.net/resources/transfers/index.html <https://www.arin.net/resources/transfers/index.html>>
>      May we waive the documentation requirements if the party who asserts such can
>      demonstrate that they have operational control of the IP address block?

I'd probably use the 'tentative' (or some such) status in these case, but I suspect it's context sensitive.

The overarching point is that augmenting the database to provide additional information related to policy conformance can be beneficial for the consumers of the database.  Not updating records is the opposite.

Regards,
-drc