[arin-ppml] On USG 'granting of rights' (was: ARIN-PPML 2015-2)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 3 19:46:27 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:50 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> If (in an alternate world) IP addresses were to be deemed to be freehold
> property rather
> than simply a specific set of rights, then it is quite likely that they
> would be USG property
> (dependent upon a rather interesting and convoluted set of agreements that
> led to their
> development.) Some contractors may have a potential claim as well; good luck
> with that.

Hi John,

I've considered that possibility over the past few years. I don't
think it holds water.

Direct USG involvement in routing and addressing ended with the NSFnet
contract two decades ago when they walked away abandoning everything
to the various organizations which wished to keep the Internet
running. Despite fancy words from the NTIA, they have no statutory
authority to control Internet addressing nor any statutory authority
to assert ownership of IP addresses on behalf of the USG. And unlike
us mere mortals, the executive agencies' authority derives solely from
statute.

My bet: if a judge finds IP addresses to be property, no part of the
USG will show up to even attempt to stake a claim. It'll be kid gloves
all around with statements expressing concern for the continued
orderly operation of the Internet.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us