[arin-ppml] On USG 'granting of rights' (was: ARIN-PPML 2015-2)

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:00:17 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Seth Johnson <seth.p.johnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think you'll find very much in the way of common law rights to
> information as such.  It kinda has to be a statute to start with --
> and statutes giving property in information aren't really something
> that happens much, except in the areas you mention -- which were
> accorded to Congress to grant.

(and I am not one to call these rights "property," specifically
because so much confusion has been wrought about information as a
result of the notion that statutory exclusive rights such as copyright
are "intellectual property."  You only find the term "intellectual
property" advocated in France, before about 1980.  They're exclusive
rights.  There are a few of those things that have been accorded to
authors.  :-)  )