[arin-ppml] Registry functioning

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 3 18:06:34 EDT 2015

On Jun 3, 2015, at 5:48 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at<mailto:matthew at matthew.at>> wrote:
You could certainly argue (and I might) that the records of legacy assignments were in fact entrusted to ARIN to keep, and keep updated *whether or not the community drafted policy that said such updates were disallowed*

Noting just one of the significant problems with that argument being that at the time
of ARIN’s formation, the actual applicable registry policy was RFC 2050 (having been
finished just a year earlier with folks like David Conrad and Jon Postel as authors) -
it states that those obtaining addresses via transfer must "meet the same criteria as
if they were requesting an IP address directly from the Internet Registry."

I.E., If we were maintain the exact status quo that such parties had prior to ARIN’s
formation,  recognized ARIN is entrusted to maintain that, then folks probably would
not like the result - today’s transfer policy is more lenient than the transfer policy at
that point in time.

(Thank an ARIN Advisory Council member when you next see them for all of their
efforts getting useful transfer policy in the Number Resource Policy Manual! :-)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO